Having a bowl of soto (Indonesian typical soup) in the midst of rain is 5 cm close to paradise, isn’t it? At this restaurant, you will find another delectable culinary experience of soto fresh from the Western part of Sumatera, Padang. Here are my reviews about Padangnese soto and satay. Check this out!
The presentation is unique as its bowl is small, just like having a cup of coffee or tea. If looking thoroughly, the broth’s color in Padangnese soto is slightly different with common Indonesian soto menus, a little bit dim completed with shredded spring onions, fried shallots and rice vermicelli. What makes it so favorable is the presence of deep-fried crunchy beef and starchy frikadeller (perkedel kentang) included, creating a very harmonious concoction to boost your appetite. Its taste never fails your expectation, believe me.
Another specialty of Padang, West Sumatera is Padangnese satay. Made from beef or cow’s tongue (several people say) with a yellowish-thick sauce drenched at the top, it has a special characteristic from other Indonesian satay menus. As the sauce is cooked with 19 kinds of spices, no wonder if it tastes spicy and hot. But, again this dish will make you crave for more and more!
Let’s see how these two dishes score, according to my personal opinion.
- Taste: 90 / 100
- Service: 90 / 100
- Ambiance: 85 / 100
- Price: 70 / 100
- Food Presentation: 85 / 100
For a bowl of Padangnese soto, it is worth IDR 35,000,-. Meanwhile, Padangnese satay is slightly cheaper, around IDR 29,000,-. The plate of rice (with pinkish crackers at the top) is worth IDR 8,000,-. And for a glass of hot tea, you have to pay IDR 3,000,-. Quite a price for the soto. But, it is worth a try!
About Soto Padang H. St. Mangkuto
- Main location: Jl. Pintu Air Raya No. 26 Pasar Baru, Central Jakarta. Telephone: 021-3857357
- Branch 1: Jl. Boulevard Raya Blok J 4 No. 6 Kelapa Gading, North Jakarta. Telephone: 021-4324920
- Branch 2: Jl. K.H Ahmad Dahlan No. 22 B Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta. Telephone: 021-72789924
- Opening Hours: 09.00 am – 09.00 pm
- Main menus: Padangnese Soto, Padangnese Satay and Rendang Fried Rice
- Air Conditioner is provided
- Free re-fill for the broth
- Additional Padangnese types of snacks is available on each table
- A quite-clean restroom
- LCD TV, but no free Wi-Fi access inside the restaurant
Kindly check my first video blog on youtube about Soto Padang H. St. Mangkuto below!